Friday, December 13, 2013

INPUT/OUTPUT ARCHITECTURE



Input/Output Devices



I/O CAN BE CHARACTERIZED BY
::behaviour; input, output, storage
::partner; human or machine
::data rate; bytes/sec, transfer/sec

I/O bus connection



iNPUT/oUTPUT MODULE

  • Interface to CPU and Memory
  • Interface to one or more peripherals
GENERIC MODEL of I/O MODULE
FUNCTION OF I/O MODULES
  1. Control and Timing
  • CPU asks I/O module to check the status of attached device.
  • I/O module tells the status
  • CPU requests for data transfer to I/O module if device is ready
  • I/O module gathers the data and transfer to the CPU
 2.  CPU Communicating
  • Command decoding
  • Data- Exchange between CPU and Module
  • Status reporting - to CPU, since peripherals are slow
  • Address recognition for the devices connected to it
 3. Device Communication
  • May involves command, status information and data transfer
 4. Data Buffering
  • Essential function to overcome speed mismatch
 5. Error Detection
  • Like paper jam, bad data etc.
I/O MODULE STRUCTURE



INPUT/OUTPUT SYSTEM CHARACTERISTICS


  • Dependability
  • Performance measures
dependability


TECHNIQUES OF I/O



               









No comments:

Post a Comment